Planning to renovate your Toronto home? You may qualify for a FASTRACK permit.
Since January 9, 2006, Toronto Building Division offers a new Building Permit service for some types of residential renovation projects. It is called 'Residential FASTRACK', and in simple cases you may be able to have a permit issued while you wait. If your project is more complicated, it may still take up to 5 days for review, but even 5 days is a short wait.
The FASTRACK service is available at four district offices. You should use the office in the area where your property is located. The four locations are:
- Etobicoke York District: 2 Civic Centre Court, Main Floor, (beside Etobicoke Civic Centre) - 416-394-8002
- North York District: North York Civic Centre, Floor 1, 5100 Yonge Street - 416-395-7000
- Scarborough District: Scarborough Civic Centre, 3rd Floor, 150 Borough Drive - 416-396-7526
- Toronto and East York District: Toronto City Hall, Ground Floor, 100 Queen Street West - 416-392-7539
Residential projects that qualify for a FASTRACK permit include:
- additions up to 50 square metres (538 square feet)
- minor interior alterations (not including creation of a second suite)
- decks, verandahs, porches
- garages and carports
- accessory structures (like gazebos and strorage sheds)
- basement entrances, underpinning
- pool enclosures
City of Toronto website, at www.toronto.ca/reno, provides more information and permit application forms.